(Photos: Richard Abbott, Scone, & Georgie Abbott, Camperdown)
"Done & dusted"
Punk Commute!!! - an amazing counter culture cycle ride from Town Hall in George Street to Parliament House, Macquarie, conducted in the spirit of our reponsibility to participate in our democracy...
...here's what we did...
- we 'Punk Commuted'
- we assembled on steps of Town Hall
- we negotiated with police (2 patrol cars & 2 bicycles)
- we protested about bicycle helmet laws
- we cycled with police escort from Town Hall to Parliament House
- we met The Hon. John Ajaka, MLC who undertook to contact me in the next couple of weeks
- we submitted a 'child-like project' (given that they treat us like children in this 'Nanny-State' of ours) in which we advised them to no longer confuse the courts or tie up police time.
- we celebrated at the Beresford, near Taylor Square
We had speeches on the Town Hall steps delivered by Mike Rubbo (documentary & film maker), Professor Chris Rissell (professor of Public Health at University of Sydney), Alan Todd (cycling campaigner from rural Victoria, and yours truly; we had traffic stopped for us; we were ushered through red lights; we turned at 'no right' turns; we were given the Sydney streets!!!
We loved it and it went straight to our 'unfettered' heads as we 'megaphoned' & 'chanted' our way through the CBD of Sydney..."our democracy, our rules"
No-one was booked; no-one was arrested; no-one fell off their bikes; we just relished the moment of protest and participation.
Punk Commute should go national - there has to be more!?!?!