|Image: Scone Advocate & their take on me|
My hair is a distraction.
The media falls for it every time. It fits their sexist narrative thereby allowing them not to explore the actual issues of Australia's bicycle helmet law - like, just for starters, why has no other country in the world copied us?
They do it every time - and they miss the point.
And so The Project came to my house last week to also do one of those 'crazy helmet lady' stories.
There were three roles up for grabs:
- Sensible person wanting to repeal helmet laws
- Sensible person wanting to keep helmet laws
- Crazy disobedient lady wanting to ride her bicycle past police stations
Of course there's only ever one role for me!
And having observed the five hours of filming for the three minute proposed piece, I can only imagine I was type-cast again.
But my fight is not with our police but with our politicians and the toxic culture they have foisted upon me and other vulnerable road users.
It is politicians' fault that:
- police in general waste tax payers money with bicycle helmet operations,
- AFP spent scarce public resources gathering Airport CCTV coverage of me and my Christiannia (I mean seriously ... BREAKING: Australian woman rides bicycle),
- AFP a month later spent scarce public resources interviewing me with hi-tech 'recording-works' at International Airport
- police in December 2014 did not have enough public resources to better manage the Lindt Cafe Siege
When justifying bicycle helmet law, it is an absolute red herring to talk about the potential cost I may cause the state should I sustain a brain injury. The public health benefits for the state when I ride my bicycle far outweigh the risks, and the most frustrating thing about all of this is that the state knows it. Big Oil runs those muppets, and Big Oil dictates the continued destruction of our cities.
|Image: SMH & Sydney families spend $22,000 on transport|
Big Oil has groomed our politicians and we can only weep with disbelief on the sidelines.
But meanwhile the media continues to miss my point.